Statement by the Special Representative of the Secretary-General of the United Nations in Iraq, Ad Melkert on the Iraqi National Elections
March 8, 2010 · Posted in NEWS
UNAMI/08/2010
BAGHDAD – 8 March 2010

I congratulate for more than 12 million Iraqis, who braved some of the security situation and those who went to the polls to vote for a better future, where it demonstrated the historical importance of this election day turnout has exceeded the expectations of many people at the polls. I also commend the Council of Independent Higher Commission for Elections and who Ocrkihm Office of Iraqis and the more than 300000 Iraqis for their efforts to hold elections well-organized and professional manner, and expresses the mission of the United Nations to help Iraq, I am proud to support their work. I also congratulate the Iraqi security forces, which were solely responsible for all aspects of security on election day, to protect the electoral process despite the efforts by some to discourage Iraqis from voting. There is no doubt that the Iraqi people is united in its desire to overcome the mind to confrontation and violence. The mission of the United Nations to help Iraq yesterday visited the polling stations in Anbar and Nineveh, Kirkuk, Erbil, Najaf, Baghdad, Salahuddin, Diyala, Dohuk and Sulaymaniyah, and Basra. We are pleased with the way in which it was polling the various Iraqi factions Hamas clear attitude towards the elections. I join my voice to the voices of Iraqi leaders and international call for patience during the counting and tabulation of results. I also encourage political entities to continue to monitor this process and that any complaints directed to the Electoral Commission for elections according to the law, as the Electoral Commission for elections alone is empowered to declare the official results of the election and ratify it by the Federal Supreme Court. The defining moment will be the announcement of the results. And invites the United Nations to all candidates and parties to unite in their acceptance of the results, this would be an example of a culture of democracy, which require a commitment until after the elections, and invites the United Nations all newly elected to proceed with determination towards the parliament and form a government new so as not to delay the political, economic and social development