Iraqi Dinar Chat, Information, News, Facts, Guru Forums, RV and Revaluation info

Follow us! Follow us!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Libya sets ceasefire after U.N. vote

Thanks

Libya sets ceasefire after U.N. vote

http://www.reuters.com/

Reuters) - Muammar Gaddafi's government said it was declaring a unilateral ceasefire in its offensive to crush Libya's revolt, as Western warplanes prepared to attack his forces.

But government troops pounded the rebel-held western city of Misrata on Friday, killing at least 25 people including children, a doctor there told Reuters. Residents said there was no sign of a ceasefire.

And in the rebel-controlled east, the government declaration was dismissed as a ruse or a sign Gaddafi was desperate.

"We have to be very cautious. He is now starting to be afraid, but on the ground the threat has not changed," a French spokesman said. Britain, like France a strong advocate of armed action, said it would judge Gaddafi by "actions, not his words".

The United States, whose role is crucial despite its insistence it is not leading the international campaign, was also skeptical. "We would have to see actions on the ground and that is not yet at all clear," Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said.

Turkey, an opponent of military action, said the Libyan ceasefire should go into effect immediately.

"We decided on an immediate ceasefire and on an immediate stop to all military operations," Libyan Foreign Minister Moussa Koussa said in Tripoli on Friday, after the U.N. Security Council passed a resolution authorizing military action.

He called for dialogue with all sides. Gaddafi had vowed to show "no mercy, no pity" on Thursday, and rebels pleaded for foreign aid before time ran out.

The ceasefire announcement was probably prompted by Gaddafi's realization that air strikes could seriously degrade his military, said John Drake, senior risk consultant at AKE.

"The Gaddafi regime may be willing to negotiate," he told Reuters. "With talk of strikes against military convoys he may be concerned about a significant attack on his military."

Officials said one or more Arab countries would play a role in the Libya operation. Gulf state Qatar said it would take part but it was unclear whether that meant military help. Tunisia said it would not play any role.

"Britain will deploy Tornadoes and Typhoons as well as air-to-air refueling and surveillance aircraft," Prime Minister David Cameron told parliament.

"Preparations to deploy these aircraft have already started and in the coming hours they will move to airbases from where they can start to take the necessary action."

Italy said it would make seven military bases available along with equipment and troops and Naples could be the coordination center.

Denmark and Canada said they planned to contribute warplanes. France is to host talks on Saturday to discuss the action with British, Arab League and other leaders.

Thanks
    Ok this is what I think on the Lybia situation. It occured to me this morning that the reason they have taken so long to do something about Quadaffi is because they really do want him in there. They can control him and have been doing so for many years. They gave him time to do what he wanted to do which was to quelch the uprising in anyway he saw fit. Now of course they can posture about how they are willing to do a no fly zone when it's virtually to late! I guess it's a matter of the devil you know rather than the devil you don't. Maybe we will find out with Wiki leaks?

Thanks
    I actually find this kind of funny... In the past few hours I have spoken with some that stated over and over that the US and its allies should not get involved in any way with a new conflict with an oil producing country. Now they are applauding the decision for the no fly zone and for the jets to get there and protect the rebels, and complaining that it took too long for the powerful nations to do something... Just goes to show this was a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation.

Thanks
    I don't think they should get involved with boots on the ground, but I do think they should knock out their systems and provide the rebels with arms to defend themselves.

+ Reply to Thread