Dempsey's mark still in books
Mike Detillier NFL Analyst Published: Saturday, November 6, 2010 at 11:00 p.m.
Last Modified: Saturday, November 6, 2010 at 11:37 p.m.
( page of 5 )

Monday will mark the 40th anniversary of former New Orleans Saints kicker Tom Dempsey's record 63-yard field goal.

On Nov. 8, 1970, Dempsey, who was born without a right hand and toes on his right foot, kicked the longest field goal in NFL history, eclipsing former Baltimore Colts kicker Bert Rechichar's mark of 56 yards.

It also marked the second signature moment in the first 20 years of New Orleans Saints history, John Gilliam's 94-yard kickoff return for a touchdown in the team's first game is the other.

Dempsey had been waived by the San Diego Chargers after getting a tryout in 1969, and he asked then Saints coach Tom Fears for a workout.

"I am thankful coach Fears gave me a workout, and I hit on six field goal tries out of 10 from 50 yards, plus I kicked a 60-yarder," Dempsey said. "He signed me pretty quickly after that."

Dempsey kicked so well that the Saints waived one of their most consistent players in kicker Charlie Durkee. The 6-foot-2, 255-pound kicker made the Pro Bowl in 1969, hitting 22-of-41 attempts.

But history was right around the corner for Dempsey.

After a 1-5-1 start in 1970, Fears was fired and was replaced by J.D. Roberts, who was the coach of the Richmond Roadrunners of the Atlantic Coast Football League.

"The team was in real chaos that year," Dempsey said. "Many of the top players on the team were getting older, and the younger players they had drafted for or traded for weren't working out. It was a team in turmoil."

When Roberts was brought in as the new head coach, the Detroit Lions were next on the schedule and brought a 5-2 record to Tulane Stadium

http://www.houmatoday.com/article/20...still-in-books